About Me

My photo
I love to read. Reading is an escape from the real world. Some books are harsh, like the real world. But, I know that it isn't real. My favorite place to read is on my bed with some candy. Obviously, the picture is not me.

Monday, June 24

Review: Weather Witch by Shannon Delany

Weather Witch

Synopsis: In a vastly different and darker Philadelphia of 1844, steam power has been repressed, war threatens from deep, dark waters, and one young lady of high social standing is expecting a surprise at her seventeenth birthday party–but certainly not the one she gets!

Jordan Astraea, who has lived out all of her life in Philadelphia’s most exclusive neighborhood, is preparing to celebrate her birthday with friends, family and all the extravagance they might muster. The young man who is most often her dashing companion, Rowen Burchette, has told her a surprise awaits her and her best friend, Catrina Hollindale, wouldn’t miss this night for all the world!

But storm clouds are gathering and threatening to do far more than dampen her party plans because someone in the Astraea household has committed the greatest of social sins by Harboring a Weather Witch.

Publisher: St. Martin's Griffen

Page Count: 323 pages

Edition: Kindle (provided by the publisher via NetGalley)

Rating: 2/5 stars 

Review: 

Weather Witch is an enthralling beginning to a new series. The concept is unique and fresh. The writing is  captivating from page one. Weather Witch will grab you from the beginning and keep you interested until the end. 

With that said, I think it's fair to say that I wasn't a huge fan of this book. All of the things I said above were true. I just don't think this book was for me. You know those kinds of books that you think will be amazing based on the first chapter alone? That's what I thought about Weather Witch. The concept and writing was so captivating in the first chapter and prologue. But then the rest of this story kind of went down hill. 

This book is told from multiple perspectives. I can't remember all of them right now, but I know that there were a lot of perspectives. The story would jump perspectives so much. Right when you were getting settled into one person's head, the story would go to another perspective. A few times you would be in a character's head and it would suddenly switch to someone around that character. After a few paragraphs it would switch back. I don't know if this was just an editing mistake or the way it was formatted on my Kindle or if that's how the story really is. But be warned, if you do not like jumping perspectives, I would not recommend this to you. 

The characters were...interesting. They weren't all totally bad. Like I said above, the story switched perspectives too much. I didn't get used to anyone at all during the story. Chloe was my favorite character because when she wanted something done she would get it done. Chloe was one of Jordan's-who wasn't really a main character at all-servants. It's too bad what happens to her.

Also, while the story is very interesting, there was no world building at all. Here you have this whole world full of Weather Witches and Making and airships but you have no idea why everyone do the things they do. Everyone in this society is afraid of Weather Witches. Why? I don't know. There are airships that suddenly show up during the mid-1800s. Why? I don't know. Are you seeing a growing trend here?

Weather Witch is not a bad book by any means. This would be a great book for anyone easing themselves into the Young Adult genre. I just think that there are better books out there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment