About Me

My photo
I love to read. Reading is an escape from the real world. Some books are harsh, like the real world. But, I know that it isn't real. My favorite place to read is on my bed with some candy. Obviously, the picture is not me.

Saturday, May 11

Review: School Spirits by Rachel Hawkins

School Spirits (School Spirits, #1)




Synopsis: Fifteen-year-old Izzy Brannick was trained to fight monsters. For centuries, her family has hunted magical creatures. But when Izzy’s older sister vanishes without a trace while on a job, Izzy's mom decides they need to take a break.

Izzy and her mom move to a new town, but they soon discover it’s not as normal as it appears. A series of hauntings has been plaguing the local high school, and Izzy is determined to prove her worth and investigate. But assuming the guise of an average teenager is easier said than done. For a tough girl who's always been on her own, it’s strange to suddenly make friends and maybe even have a crush.

Can Izzy trust her new friends to help find the secret behind the hauntings before more people get hurt?


Publisher: Disney-Hyperion

Page Count: 304

Edition: Kindle (NetGalley)

Rating: 4 stars

Review:

Izzy Brannick is devastated over her sister going missing. While on a hunt, she accidentily slips. Her mother decided to go to a new town so Izzy can take on a smaller mission. But this mission may not be as small as everyone thinks...

I love the Hex Hall series. I was so happy when I heard this was going to come out. So when I saw it on NetGalley, I jumped on the offer. I was so surprised! Rachel Hawkins uses her humor but not in a way that makes you think that this is a repeat of Hex Hall. This story was so cute and fluffy. I couldn't put it down. The mystery during the whole book reminded me of that old show Danny Phantom. Izzy and her new friends had their ups and downs, all while Izzy was suffering from her sister going missing. I loved Izzy. She was so tough yet sweet. Dex and Izzy are so cute together!

But, this still fell flat for me. It seemed like a middle grade read. It seemed to be going somewhere and it didn't. I hope that this leads up to a better more substantial series.


Rachel Hawkins' delightful spin-off brings the same wit and charm as the New York Times best-selling Hex Hall series. Get ready for more magic, mystery and romance!(

No comments:

Post a Comment